Monday, July 27, 2009

To my son

To my son,

The times they are a changin- I have been listening to this timeless Bob Dylan song a lot lately. It is poignant to me in many ways, not only personally (marriage, and a new baby), but also in the broader sense of the world in which I live. The economic downturn, the opportunity to find ourselves again. It's a chance to reclaim our honor.

How often do we hear "If only so and so wasn't in office" or "If only I could catch a break", or better still "Why can't I have the luck of so and so" Well... I believe... wait... I know, that we need this uncertainty, we need strife, and we need a return to the hard working, "I make my own luck" attitude of the "Greatest Generation" With the World War II Generation there was very little sense of entitlement, a man knew it was up to him to provide for his family, it was his duty to serve his country, and disputes were handled face to face, not in the cowardly courtrooms of today.

How do we return? How do we get back to Honor, Duty, and Commitment ?

I have some ideas......

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cortez supposedly said one of the most profound things I have ever heard... "BURN THE SHIPS". When he and his men landed and were preparing for battle, he instructed his captain to "burn the ships" so his men knew there is not other option but to win.. With zero possibility of retreat, how could you not fight with all your might? I try and live life with the same concept of never looking back, and burning the ships... Great post Jason.